Tuesday, April 13, 2010

SING TO ME TOM


I can't sing at all.   Tom is always trying to tell me I can and that I should sing in the choir with him.  But then he loves me.  Nobody else tells me I should sing in the choir.  People edge away from me in church when I sing. Sometimes if I notice, they smile and stop moving, but I can see them cringe.


I do love to sing though.  You see, I didn't say I don't sing, just that I can't sing.  They are different things.


Mostly I love to listen to music.  Tom loves that I love to listen. Cause he loves to sing.  And he can sing.  And does.  A lot.


When we first met at Chapel Hill, we drove home to Moravian Falls every weekend.  Home was his home.  Mine was Birmingham and was too far away.  He would sing to me all the way home.  I would sing along if I knew the words.  I learned hundreds of songs that I didn't already know, especially awesome country ones.


My favorite was this heartbreaker Tom often sang to me as we drove home down Highway 64.
 
Wreck on the Highway
by Roy Acuff

Who did you say it was brother?
Who was it fell by the way?
When whiskey and blood run together
Did you hear anyone pray?

I didn't hear nobody pray, dear brother
I didn't hear nobody pray
I heard the crash on the highway
But, I didn't hear nobody pray.

When I heard the crash on the highway
I knew what it was from the start
I went to the scene of destruction
And a picture was stamped on my heart.

There was whiskey and blood all together
Mixed with glass where they lay
Death played her hand in destruction
But I didn't hear nobody pray.

I wish I could change this sad story
That I am now telling you
But there is no way I can change it
For somebody's life is now through.

Their soul has been called by the Master
They died in a crash on the way
And I heard the groans of the dying
But, I didn't hear nobody pray.

Sing it to me, Tom.




4 comments:

  1. Love the song AND your blog!!

    Jan Elders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thaqnk you, Jan. We are having a blast doing it. I hope your visit to the doctor goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning about your history together. Thanks for the song too. In church there are a lot of people who can sing on key. Lots sing a little flat and it seems like a fair number sing a little sharp. So it averages out to be just about right, don't you think? Anyway, it's not about the notes - it's what you feel that matters. Keep singing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update on the status of TJ's name. I enjoyed perusing your blog. I also have a blog at: http://qiyamahinislam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Because of many spam comments, we have had to add comment moderation.I agree with Pooh, "Oh bother!" Please be patient.